Wednesday 18 September 2013

Research of the Brief

My brief basically states I need to design a music magazine using DTP and an image manipulation programme. I already know that an example of an image manipulation programme would probably be Photoshop. However I do not know what a DTP is thus I researched it in Wikipedia and found in my secondary research of the internet that DTP stands for Desktop publishing. This programme is used for designing a layout for media such as magazines and Newspapers. Thus, is will be a rather useful when I start creating my Music magazine.


Nevertheless, before I start designing I need to find the codes and conventions of current music magazines. Therefore, I will buy 3 magazines and analyse their front page contents ages and double page spread. These magazines will all have to be from different production companies and genres to get a range of different ideas for my primary research and as it will hopefully spark some inspiration. I will also need to analyse the representation of which is portrayed the media and choose one to to suit the genre that I decide to use.

The magazines of which I have chosen to analyse include 
Kerrang! which hast the sub genre of indie rock and is produced by Bauer. However, while reading it I found that there are more Pop punk bands' stories in the magazine e.g. Blink 182, Green Day and My Chemical Romance. (Therefore, it could depend on the weeks edition)
Total guitar which is produced by future plc its genre is a hybrid of rock, acoustic, punk, Blues, Classic rock and Metal,
NME which is produced by IPC and has the genre of rock
Genre is the type or kind of magazine for example rock.Sub-genre is a subject within that genre e.g. pop rock
Hybrid is a medium with more than 2 subjects; if it was a film an example would be the day after tomorrow because its a romance, thriller, adventure sci-fi and action. 
Therefore not only will I be able to compare and start understanding the difference between genre sub genre and hybrids but production companies and different genres too. 

My teacher has gone through the specification with me and I made notes in the brief style is mentioned twice which means it is important to the project. Thus, I will do some secondary research on this as well as music press. 
Last but not least I will need to do a survey to find out who my target audience is and what they would like to be in a music magazine for more primary research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment